Monday 12 March 2012

Arrivals...


I decided to look at Manchester for my arrival point as the start of the unit. I thought it would be fitting to look at the city and the immediate surroundings of the art school to add history and context to my ideas. I wrote a short piece describing the scenes I saw when I first visited Manchester and ended in the Northern Quarter which is where I have decided to focus my attention at this point in Unit X.
I made some drawings from memory that related to my 'short story'.



I then visited the Northern Quarter to gather research and take photographs. I started to take photos of backstreets and the brickwork but then discovered the metal tiles in the floor about half way up 'Oldham Street'. They are symbolic tiles with images and patterns synonymous with Manchester and what was once the underground music scene. This made me think about the marks and the memories people have made and left in and upon Manchester. Hopefully this idea of memories and mark making will feed into my work and help me to produce some amazing ideas!






No comments:

Post a Comment