Friday 18 May 2012

Mechanics and Movement

I have been deliberating a number of methods to allow the tiles to move and to allow the students and staff to rearrange them as they wish. One method that grabbed my attention was that of a children's sliding puzzle. I like the simple design of these toys and the simple movement of the tiles within. I think it would be great to use these movements and methods for my tiled installation and it is a wonderful notion to think that such amazing and complicated patterns could be made from such simple actions. 


I wouldn't take on all aspects of the sliding puzzle though as this could be too restrictive. For example I wouldn't use the square shape and frame, instead opting for a wall system which allows the tiles to cover a larger area and also allow them to move to create unusual and unrestricted shapes.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment